Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Farm at 6 Months!

We've lived at our new house for almost exactly 6 months now. Overall, it works really well. It has some HUGE pluses.

  • The scenery is gorgeous.
  • The house layout and space suits our needs soo much better than the old house did. I mean - the closets, pantry, porch... What's not to love about those??
  • We have the freedom to choose what animals (ducks, chickens, dogs, cats, goats, guineas...) without worry about the city freaking out since we live just outside the limits. But juuuuussst barely outside. 
  • I love the kitchen layout. There is plenty of cupboard space. The pantry is HUGE for grocery storage. I've been able to can stuff and store it (not freakish like, but a few things of jam and sauces). I love the stove top griddle. 
  • I can safely send the kids out to play in a BIG space and the biggest worry is them getting lost in the woods - not cars (because I send them out back, not to the highway), child thieves, or boredom.

There are a few things that I really don't like. They're goofy, out of my mind, stupid to mention things. But every time I have to deal with them, I get irritated.
  • The bicyclists.  The HUNDREDS of bicyclists. That alternate between pedestrian rules and automobile rules. They want to be special and have both. I want to run them ALL over. Mostly, just the ones that ride 4 to 7 abreast and take up the ENTIRE road going 23 miles per hour. The entire time but won't let you pass, go around, or find an safe way to bypass them. EVER. It makes a 6 minute trip take 20. Literally. I timed it more than once. 
  • Bugs, spiders, flies, scorpions, moles, snakes and other creepy crawlies. There are a bazillion of them. EVERYWHERE. All The Time. 
  • The air conditioner doesn't work nearly as well as I would prefer. It's the middle of summer so I'm pretty sure no ones is, but *I* want the AC to work so it cools to like 65 at the drop of a hat. It doesn't. It functions adequately and sufficiently for the time being given that it is the original of the build. We did have to add a super air filter but it can go to a new unit whenever we are forced to upgrade.
  • My allergies have been literally a daily battle since we moved. Stupid outside world. 


So the baby Netherland Dwarf are getting HUGE for being 14 days old!





 These were actually taken a few days ago, they are even a little bit bigger even! They look so much like little bitty bunnies now for just a few days ago!

Look at the differences!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Ohhhhhhhh, the bicyclists. I'm sorry you have to deal with those, too. I had hoped we would have escaped them when we moved here, but no such luck. We had them at the old house; we have them here. Something about living near a hill is like crack to a crack whore. And quite frankly, if they don't follow the road rules like they're supposed to, I am not above calling the cops on them.....

As for the rest, yay bunnies and freedom to play (and awesome kitchen)! Boo allergies.